Growing young leaders through netball
This pilot programme utilises netball as a vehicle to enhance the health and wellbeing and provide opportunities for youth to explore concepts of leadership and develop their capability and confidence as young leaders within their community.
- Inspire young people in South Auckland who are capable of mobilising others in their community to engage in their personal development and growth.
- Develop a programme using netball as a vehicle, to nurture a deeper understanding of leadership and how to be an effective young leader.
- Provide opportunities for young people to apply their developing leadership skills in practical settings to grow the capability and capacity of the netball system.
- Increase netball involvement by young people through playing, coaching, umpiring and other facets of the game.
- Improve the well-being of young people, develop confidence, resilience, social skills and help them reach their potential.
Young people between 12 and 24 years. Aimed at young people who are starting to exhibit leadership qualities and those young people who could benefit from growing their confidence and leadership skills.
The programme is delivered in three stages:
- Leadership learning – two day workshop provides leadership learning around the qualities of a leader, how to lead others and challenges of leadership. The aim is to develop personal confidence and influence personal growth. Participants are introduced to the leadership pathways of umpiring, coaching and netball delivery and from this select one pathway to follow. At the conclusion, participants earn the Bronze Netball Leaders Award.
- Pathway learning – participants attend workshop in their chosen pathway of coaching, umpiring or netball delivery. This helps build their technical confidence in their chosen pathway.
- Giving Back – participants are supported and mentored to volunteer as either coaches, umpires or deliverers at their netball centre or within their school. By completing pathway learning and giving back, participants earn Silver and Gold Netball Leaders Awards.
Benefits of Netball Leaders for youth
- Grow leadership skills which can be applied to all facets of life.
- Positively impact on health and well-being.
- Develop confidence, resilience and self-belief, social skills, and help youth to reach their potential.
- Foster a passion for sport, and netball in particular.
- Develop skills to design and run programmes and events, coach or umpire.
- Gain NNZ coaching or umpiring qualifications.
- Feel proud of the contribution they have made to their community.
- Have a voice in the development of their netball centre for the future.
Impact of Netball Leaders identified by teachers
Many of our learners have the mind set of just playing and not realising that understanding leadership, identity, values, team work, transferrable and interpersonal skills can help you grow as a person and as a netballer. The content and themes that are present within the workshops are relatable and accessible and have helped our learners gain an inner confidence within themselves to be part of a team.
Impact of Netball Leaders identified by Netball Centres
Our netball centre found the Netball Leaders programme has developed the confidence of the young people and provided a framework to support their growth as volunteers. The centre values the stronger connections with youth to positively build the centre for the future.